When Fido Finds Forbidden Treats: What to Do When Your Dog Eats Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dog Eats Chocolate Chip Cookies

Every dog owner dreads this scenario. Upon returning to the kitchen counter, you find a freshly baked batch of chocolate chip cookies had been consumed by your fido. Suddenly, panic sets in as you recall all the warnings about the toxicity of chocolate for dogs.

Here, we’ll explore the potential risks associated with dogs eating chocolate chip cookies, how to respond if it happens, and how to prevent it from happening again. In order to make sure your dog is safe and healthy, you must have the right knowledge.

Without waiting much, let’s explore the potential dangers of chocolate to dogs.

The potential hazards of eating chocolate by dogs

The presence of theobromine and caffeine in chocolate made it harmful for dogs, though it’s a beloved treat for humans. Keep in mind that the type and the amount of chocolate consumed by your dog are some important factors to tell the level of toxicity. Additionally, the higher contents of theobromine in cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and unsweetened baker’s chocolate impose greater risks to dogs.

However, chocolate chip cookies and white milk chocolate have lower levels of theobromine, though they are not safe for dogs. Dogs who consume chocolate frequently can develop several health issues. Some important health concerns include:

1-Increased heart rate

The presence of stimulants like theobromine and caffeine in chocolate tends to increase the heart rate of your dog, which directly affect the cardiovascular system when consumed in larger quantity.

2-GIT distress

If your dog happens to accidentally consume chocolates, you will clearly find symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea as an early indication due to electrolyte imbalance.


In severe cases of excessive chocolate consumption, dogs are likely to experience seizures that might become life-threatening in later stages.

4-Muscle tremors

The ionic imbalance is common to observe in dogs with significant chocolate chip cookie consumption, which is sometimes called full-blown seizures.


One of the major indications of chocolate toxicity in your dog is its behavioral changes like hyperactivity and over-excitement.


A life-threatening and painful condition that might develop in dogs because of the high-fat contents of chocolate chip cookies.

Estimating the risk of eating chocolate chip cookies by your dog

First of all, it is necessary to assess the situation promptly when you find your dog indulging in chocolate chip cookies. Here, we discuss some factors that directly influence the level of toxicity in your dog:

  • Type and amount of chocolate – As mentioned above, the type of chocolate is a matter of concern, along with the number of cookies eaten by your dog. Dark chocolates are riskier than white ones because of their higher theobromine content.
  • Breed and size of dog – The risk of chocolate toxicity is higher in smaller breeds like Chihuahua, Poodle, and Boston terrier as a small quantity of theobromine is sufficient to perform its action, though any dog can be affected.
  • Medical history – Dogs having complaints of previous food allergies or toxicities history are more vulnerable to chocolates. Additionally, the presence of an underlying medical condition also enhances the chances of a dog being easy prey of theobromine toxicity.

You can also read: Can Dogs Have Oat Milk

Things to do when your dog eats chocolate chip cookies

In this situation, all you need to do is to take immediate actions including:

Call your vet ASAP – The first thing you must do after finding your dog ingesting chocolate chip cookies is to call your vet. The veterinarian will better guide you on which protocol to follow depending on your dog’s size or the type and amount of chocolate.

Monitor your dog’s condition – Closely observe your dog to find out the onset of chocolate toxicity symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and restlessness. Such a piece of information could be valuable for your vet to take action accordingly.

Induce vomiting (under the vet’s supervision) – In certain cases, your vet may recommend you induce vomiting to free your dog’s stomach from chocolate chip cookies. However, it should be done under professional guidance to avoid complications.

Apply activated charcoal – Sometimes, veterinarians recommend administering activated charcoal, which plays a key role in absorbing any remaining contents of theobromine.

Fluid therapy or medication – In severe cases where your dog needs hospitalization, it might be necessary to administer intravenous fluid therapy along with other medication to manage symptoms.

YouTube: What to Do if Your Dog Ate Chocolate?

Preventing future incidents

It is crucial to prevent your dog from consuming chocolate chip cookies. How is it possible? Well, keep the chocolate away from paws and muzzle if you prevent future incidents that are necessary for the safety of your dog. Firstly, secure the chocolates in a place that is inaccessible to your dog. You can think about placing it on high shelves and locked cabinets.

Secondly, it is your duty to educate the remaining members of your family and other visitors not to share any kind of chocolate with your dog.


Your dog enjoying a chocolate chip cookie may be heartwarming, but it can also be concerning. In spite of its appeal to humans, chocolate is toxic to dogs. In order to keep your dog healthy and safe, it is crucial that you understand the risks, take immediate action if your dog consumes chocolate, and implement preventative measures. By being aware and vigilant, you can keep your furry friend safe and happy.


My dog ate chocolate chip cookies. What should I do?

First of all, don’t panic, and with all your senses, call your vet immediately and tell the whole situation. The veterinarian will guide you depending on your dog’s size, type, and amount of chocolate ingested to follow the specific protocol.

What are the signs of chocolate toxicity in dogs?

The signs of chocolate toxicity in dogs include mild to severe seizures, muscle twitching, vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, GIT discomfort, and hyperactivity.

Can I induce vomiting at home if my dog ate chocolate?

It is not recommended to go for induced vomiting at home in case your dog ate chocolates. However, you can do the deed by getting recommendations and guidelines from your vet only.

Are all dogs equally sensitive to chocolates?

Certain factors like overall health, size, and breed of the dog tell whether your dog is more or less sensitive to chocolates. However, don’t forget all dogs can get chocolate toxicity.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *