The first concern that arises for a pet owner regarding his furry friend, after his comfortable bedding and toys for amusement, is choosing the right dog food brand. Whether, one newly adopts a pup or already owns an adult fido, it is a great responsibility to fulfill his nutritional requirement in order to optimize growth and productivity. There are many important factors that all pet owners must keep in mind before selecting a particular dog food brand for their doggo.
It must provide the threshold level of nutrition, minerals, vitamins, hydration (if your furry friend does not consume enough water i.e. 20-70 ml per kg body weight), palatability and desired taste. Protein is the key ingredient in any formulation. Pups are very active and in their development stages. Gain in muscle mass, body weight and optimum size is dependent on a rich source of protein in diet.
Other factors regarding the age, breed, size, potential allergies, digestibility and absorption capacity of the bowel of the dog are also necessary to be taken into account, by the owner and associated veterinarian team. Each dog breed, small or large, reacts differently to protein of various kinds.
“Which dog food is best?” Or “Which is the best dog food brand recommended by veterinarians?” Everyone is searching for the best dog food that money can buy with such unanswered questions in their minds.
How Pet Owners can Choose the Best Dog Food?
Dr. Matthew McCarthy, a veterinarian and founder of Juniper Valley Hospital New York suggests the criteria developed by The World Small Animal Veterinary Association, which is a global volunteer association of more than 200,000 veterinarians. Pet owners can follow this criteria to select the best dry, wet or any relevant form of dog food. Thus, the evaluation can be made by pet parents and veterinarians themselves and the confusing claims regarding nutritional value of each product can be ruled out.
- Always select the dog food made by a reliable and reputed company.
- The dog food must be quality control tested.
- Beware of the brands with health claims.
- Shelf life of each ingredient must correspond to the pack’s individual shelf life.
The correct diet for your pet means less poop for you to scoop! Food aligning above mentioned criteria is suitable to be chosen for you doggo. It is wise to match compatibility of the dog food brand and the size, breed, sensitivity, potential allergies and adaptability of your doggo.
The following list has been compiled after thorough research and includes the best dog food brands with top ingredient formulations.
1. Purina Pro Plan High Protein for Puppy (Best for Large Dog Breeds)
- Ingredients: Lamb, brewers rice, poultry by product meal, Vitamin E, Oat Meal, Fish Meal, Supplements, Dried Colostrum etc.
- Age Range: Puppy
- Item Form: Crunchy, Kibble
Purina Pro Plan is the best choice of dog food, especially if your dog is in the early stage of life. Pups require rich source of protein in their diet plan. Muscles want a variety of protein to grow bigger and energy requirement is high, because pups are very active and playful all the time. Large dog breeds have a high protein requirement in order to attain their gigantic size.
The Purina Pro Plan comes with a variety and mix of protein. Lamb, oat meal, fish meal and poultry by product meal provide the best mix and variety of protein.
Different breeds of dogs are sensitive to different protein sources. For example, some are allergic to protein from beef and their digestive tract is reluctant to absorb it.
Legumes are bad for most dogs because they hinder the absorption of vitamins and minerals. So, dog food having leguminous protein should be avoided. Despite this, other dog food companies add legumes as a filler to increase protein content of meal.
With the best mix of protein, supplements and oat meal (a source of carbohydrates), the Purina Pro Plan has been nominated the best dog food for gigantic dog breeds and pups.
2. Royal Canin Shih Tzu Dog Food (Best for Small Breeds)
- Ingredients: Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken by-products, Pork by Products, Chicken, Powdered Cellulose, Modified Corn Starch, Brewers Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E etc.
- Age Range: Adult
- Item Form: Wet Dog Food
Royal Canin dog food is recommended by most veterinarians due to high diversity of protein, vitamins, essential minerals and palatability. Royal Canin offers canned dog food; dry as well as wet form of dog food.
Canines with relatively less water intake and slight dehydration must be fed wet dog food to fulfil their daily water requirement.
Small dog breeds require more calories per kg body weight than large breeds. The ingredients are formulated as per the average dog breeds’ sensitivity and digestibility to minimize gastrointestinal problems.
Exciting flavors enhance the palatability of the dog food. The impeccable balance of protein, carbohydrates and fatty acids ensures gain of muscle mass, prevent obesity, strengthening of skeleton and enhance the shine of pup’s fur coat. ACTIVE mentions.
The only drawback is its high cost but this dog food brand is worth every penny. Customized nutrition plan and absence of any artificial preservative makes it the safest and most profitable dog food in this list.
Royal Canin Shih Tzu will never be left half eaten by your doggo. It provides the best natural ingredients formulated and customized for both large dog breeds and small pups.
According to a survey conducted by statista research department regarding favorite dog food brands in France, about 45% respondents declared Royal Canin Dog Food as their favorite dog food brand.
3. Nutro Natural Choice Adult Dog Food (Best for Small Breeds)
- Ingredients: Chicken, Whole Grain Barley, Split Peas, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, DL-Methionine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement etc.
- Age Range: Adult
- Item Form: Dry Dog Food
Nutro Natural Choice dog food offers a mix of ingredients to support healthy immunity and digestion. The dry texture prevents plaque build up in teeth. This dog food brand has been formulated for those furry friends that have already accomplished their peak body weight.
Easy to digest proteins and fibrous ingredients like chicken meal and brown rice enhance digestion. This high yield food is also effective against obesity. It is often replaced with a protein, fat and carbohydrate rich diet to slim down a heavy doggo. Vitamin supplements enhance metabolism and utilization of amino acids.
Vitamin B12 acts as an antitoxin and prevents a condition called megaloblastic anemia that makes the doggie tired and lethargic. Chia seed improves digestion and promotes intestinal health.
This dog food also meets the standards of American Feed Control Officials that informs the pet owners about real and practical information regarding dog food. If your pet has developed high gastrointestinal sensitivity leading to digestion problems then this dog food is the best replacement for your doggo.
4. Blue Buffalo Natural Grain Dog Food (Best Overall Dry Dog Food)
- Ingredients: Wet Food: Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Potatoes, Pea Protein, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Fish Oil (source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Dicalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2) etc.
- Age Range: Puppy Starter Bundle
- Item Form: Dry and Wet Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Natural Grain is a totally de-boned protein rich dog food comprising of a mixture of fruits, vegetables and grains. It also has real turkey and chicken meal as another source of protein. Flaxseed is the one of the best source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which benefit the heart and metabolism.
Dry dog food is cheaper than wet dog food. Dry food lacks moisture that prevents teeth from deterioration and dental tartar. This dog food ensures cleanliness, long lasting shelf life, lesser price and convenience.
All Blue Buffalo dog foods constitute natural ingredients and avoid the use of artificial preservatives. One can mix dry and wet BLUE BUFFALO dog food for improving palatability and convenient swallowing.
This recipe contains no artificial ingredients, colors, corn, wheat or soy. Although vitamin E deficiency is uncommon in dogs, it is a necessary supplement against poor vision and impaired immunity in such cases. It also constitutes grains in a minute quantity which is safe if the dog has no potential allergies, according to experts.
Both Purina and Blue Buffalo avoid use of those ingredients in food which are harmful for the gastrointestinal system of your furry partners. Additionally, Blur Buffalo have Life Source Bits which include essential and non-essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants suggested by veterinarians and experts.
5. Wellness Core Dry Dog Food (Best for Adult German Shepherds)
- Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal (source of Chondroitin Sulfate), Lentils, Ground Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Salmon Oil, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Kale, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, etc.
- Age Range: Senior
- Item Form: Dry
- Size Recommendation: All
This product offers unmatched immune system boost and health to biome. It is not recommended for puppies due to heavy grain load and low fat percentage. Fat is an essential component in young age in order to provide cushion to internal organs and fullness after a meal. Chicken and Rice provide a protein and carbohydrate rich diet.
Although it is expensive, yet a safe and nourishing meal to consider for adult dogs, especially German shepherds. It is a dry dog food type that prevents dental decay and tartar in adults and aged dogs. Ground flaxseed is packed with healthy fatty acids (omega 3 and omega 6). These fatty acids give a shiny look to the fur and nourish the joints.
Addition of fruits and vegetables provides an alkalizing effect and encourages healthy hydration. Moreover, provision of diverse minerals and vitamins is ensured. Zinc proteinate nourishes the coat and provides energy.
Ferrous sulfate treats iron deficiency as iron is the most important trace element in the dog’s body. Niacin or vitamin B3 prevents allergic and inflammatory skin conditions in dogs in case of any potential skin problem.
This dog food brand is free of artificial preservatives, colors and protein fillers like legumes. The pet owners noticed marked loss of arthritis and weight gain after using this dry food brand. This dog feed has been formulated by animal lovers, veterinarians and nutritionists so, it provides the best balance among its naturally selected ingredients.
You must keep the nutritional requirements and potential clinical picture of your fido in mind before opting for any dog food brand. High protein requirement is not necessary in every situation.
Rather, a perfectly balanced diet comprising all the essential and non-essential minerals, protein and amino acids, vitamins and fatty acids is the ideal dog food for our furry friends.
Above all, the cost of the desired dog food product must fall in your range of expenditure. You can always switch gradually from one product to the other one avoiding any harmful outcomes. Advice from your respective veterinarian regarding the diet plan of your doggo must be followed.
What is the difference between dry and wet dog food?
- Wet food offers greater palatability than dry dog food
- Wet and dry dog food differentiate in the way they are processed.
- Canned wet food is higher in meat protein than dry food.
- Wet dog food is higher in natural fats than dry dog food.
- Wet canned food has fewer artificial additives than dry food.
- No refrigeration is required in case of dry dog food whereas wet dog food is not convenient.
- Dry dog food is cheaper than wet dog food.
- Wet dog food has longer shelf life.
Which is the best and healthiest dog food for small breeds?
Royal Canin Dog Food is the best brand for small breeds. It comprises of almost all fundamental ingredients required by your pet to become strong and healthy.
What is the best dry dog food brand available in market?
Purina Pro Plan High Protein is the best dry food brand available in the market. It comes with a variety of protein (lamb, fish meal, poultry by product, oat meal etc.) as different individuals have varying sensitivity and intestinal absorption for different kinds of protein.
What is the best and healthiest dog food for large breeds?
Purina Pro Plan High Protein for Puppy is the best for Large Dog Breeds. Large Breeds require a rich source of proteins to meet their nutritional requirements in order to gain their gigantic muscle mass and body weight.
Which dog food brand is recommended by veterinarians?
Purina Pro Plan High Protein for Puppy is Best for large dog breeds and Royal Canin Dog Food is the best brand for small breeds.